Entrance Hall: South Apse ~ Osterley Park House
You can see from this shot that the floor and ceiling echo each other in design.
The Stucco work was executed by the firm of Joseph Rose and the grisaille paintings above the fireplaces are by Giovanni Pattista Cipriani.
The Entrance Hall was created in 1767. It fulfils Robert Adam’s great desire to bring ‘movement’ of shapes, light and shadow to a space. Its rectangular shape is enhanced by semicircular alcoves at each end, both with a fireplace flanked by niches filled with statues.
Constructed as an all-purpose room, the Hall was used as a saloon, reception room and occasional dining room.
Stucco panels of military trophies adorn the walls, inspired by the marble trophies of Octavianus Augustus on the Campidoglio in Rome. Adam created similar stucco trophies for the vestibule at nearby Syon Park.
The patterned floor is fashioned in white Portland stone and red sandstone. The chimney pieces, also in Portland stone, are embellished with the Child family crest of an eagle holding an adder in its beak.